I spent much of the weekend trying to select a pattern from my Heather Ross Weekend Sewing Book. I really wanted to knock off another book on my Craft Book Challenge list. On Saturday morning, I diligently traced the pattern pieces for several different patterns.
I started out with the slippers and figured I'd be able to finish them up pretty quickly and move on to what the book calls the Weekend Away Travel Bag (which I grew up knowing as a Dopp Kit).
My first slipper came together easily enough until it came to the part to sew on the sole. I had some nice gray "pleather" that I was going to use for the sole. I started attaching it with the recommended blanket stitch and just didn't like the way it looked, so I switched to using a felted wool sole as the book suggested. I persisted a bit longer with that, but I still didn't like it. It just doesn't seem very finished looking not to mention that it doesn't fit me terribly well. Maybe I was supposed to add seam allowances?
This is as far as I got before giving up.
I really liked the fabrics I chose, so I decided to use those for the little travel bag instead. The pattern calls for you to cut main body of the bag on the fold - not a left/right fold but rather a top/bottom fold. This doesn't work for directional fabrics. I know I could have adjusted by cutting on the fold line then stitching the pieces together, but I guess my motivation really wasn't there this weekend.
I spent a little time working on a big-butt tote bag to carry on the plane, but my daughter got men hooked on The Hunger Game series by Suzanne Collins, so I spent the entire afternoon and evening reading Mockingjay.
So it was a productive weekend as far as cleaning and reading goes but not so much in the craft department.