I bought this book on my recent trip to San Francisco.
I'm a little disturbed that the sizes are in English - 5/6 for example instead of 120. Could I have purchased an English book translated into Japanese? I don't think so, but boy would that ever be stupid.
Anyway, I was excited to make the cute shirt dress pattern from it. The contrasting placket fabric really appealed to me. I agonized over what fabric in my stash would work best. I have a seersucker stripe that really just screams Oxford-style, but in the end, I decided to use the ice-blue Kaffe Fasset shot cotton from my stack of stash fabrics that I'm working through. I couldn't find just the right contrast fabric for the seersucker, but I had just enough leftover from another project that I thought went with the blue.
I didn't really think the yard that I had would be enough, but I ironed it then arranged and rearranged and shortened the pattern pieces until I could make most of them fit. I didn't have enough for the pockets or the belt which I think would have given the whole thing a more finished look. As it is now, I think it just looks like she's wearing one of her big brother's shirts - which I suppose is part of the appeal of a shirt dress - for a kid anyway.
I think it's cute, and it was really fun to figure out how to make the Oxford-shirt style collar, but I'm counting this one as more of a muslin really. Next time, I'll get some real shirting fabric with some coordinating trim fabric that I won't have to piece together.
I hate to think that KCWC is almost over. My older daughter and I just got back from watching one of my co-workers dance recitals. It was really cool. Tomorrow, we're going to another feis, so it's turning into a dance weekend all around. I don't think I'll be able to sew much tomorrow, but maybe, just maybe one more thing . . .
(And I did finish one more shirt today to share soon.)