Warning! I'm quite in love with these pants, so there are a few way too many photos in this post.
I'd been coveting this fabric for quite a while. I checked on it every time I went into JoAnn's (which I have to admit is quite frequent - I always need buttons or thread or elastic or something. I don't hesitate to let myself get distracted and look at other things), but each time I was able to talk myself out of it. It was $15/yard which I would readily pay for quite a few fabrics, but I wasn't quite there yet with this one.
Finally, on about the fifth visit (don't worry - before my fabric challenge), I gave in. I didn't even have a coupon. After the nice lady at the cutting counter cut my 1 1/4 yards, she scanned the bar code at the end of the bolt and said, "this came up at 2.97". What? Woo hoo. I had the good sense to have her cut me another yard at the time, but why, oh why, didn't I get even more?!
I love the Oliver & S sailboat pants pattern, but I've made at least four pairs of pants for Addie from that pattern, so I thought it was time to branch out. I'd seen some great photos on Japan Couture Addicts blog of Pants O from Happy Homemade 2, so I thought that would be a good pattern to try. It was definitely a good choice. With only four pieces (counting each back pocket), they sew up really fast, and the fit and cut is just great. I love the slight flare of the legs even though I did end up having to cut off about 4 inches.
They remind me of a pair of pants I had - or at least imagine that I had when I was little. It's what made me think of the jeep photo I posted the other day. I even thought I might have been wearing those pants in the photo. No such luck.
The shirt was another pattern from this book:
I actually finished it a week or so ago, but didn't have any bottoms (as in skirts, pants, etc.) to photograph it with. Since the shirt was kind of long and baggy, none of the recent skirts I made seemed to work. Finally these pants worked. The fabric was another $15/yard one - one that I knew I wanted immediately - and no luck on a great deal this time either. It's a very fine, lightweight cotton with some sweet flowers and vines attached. I think the woman at the store thought I was buying it for some kind of bridal thing. For the most part, it was pretty nice to sew with except when you ended up with one of the big flowers in the seam.
Turns out the pants also look great with the jacket I finished last weekend.
It was a beautiful, unseasonably warm day, so Addie had plenty of time to play outside while I took pictures. Much easier than trying to capture the last few hours of daylight that reach inside the house.
First, Addie tried some skateboarding. (That thing is actually supposed to be a sled.)
Then some shoveling. How she didn't end up on her butt, I don't know.
Then we decided to take a walk around to the front of the house. (She's really not putting her hands down her pants - she's demonstrating use of the back pockets.)
There was a lot of melting going on.
Happy almost Spring!